Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nothing Stays the Same...


Alec Saunders, Iotum CEO, says "Skype hasn’t lost relevance for me. It just doesn’t work." Saunders had to uninstall the application because of some unpleasant interactions with his PC, he reports. He says he had similar issues with Gizmo and so now uses GoogleTalk or Jajah.

Likewise, Saunders notes that blogger Ken Camp points out that fewer people are using Skype today than a few months ago. It's almost an embarassment of riches. "There are now so many options for quality cheap calls that Skype isn't as exciting as it was when it first hit the market a few years ago," says Saunders.

Come to think of it, though I don't know I've had the technical issues Alec reports, Jajah has come up and Skype gets very little use of late. I also got pinged by MobiVox to remind me I haven't used Skype on my mobile, either. Nor have I been making use of my video email client, either.

Perhaps the point is that it is terribly difficult for any new feature or application to really punch through all the clutter and user interface issues one faces in a busy life. Even useful and low price tools have to contend with lots of other distractions.

No comments:

Costs of Creating Machine Learning Models is Up Sharply

With the caveat that we must be careful about making linear extrapolations into the future, training costs of state-of-the-art AI models hav...